Monday, January 5, 2009

01-01-2009

Let's see if this works.
Here is the video of my restart efforts on the MG.

Some r-rated language so this won't show up on the Disney channel anytime soon.

The funniest part in the video is my wife Laura. I was joking with Kevin (AKA Fieldbuilder here on the MGExperience.net forum) that she was an ex-Army MP and swears like a sailor so, of course, she goes out of her way to swear constantly...not knowing that I am taping the whole thing.
I showed this to her last night and she is so embarrassed.
The first half of the vid shows us trying to get the B restarted. The second half is after I replaced most of the ignition parts on Sunday and she actually runs.
I replaced the rotor, dizzy cap, plugs (NGK) coil wire and plug wires.
I still have to replace the points and condensor. She fired right up and kept running which I didn't expect at all.
Last saturday Kevin and I just managed to get her running for about 10 seconds at a time at the most. But, Sunday I discovered this ingenious device called a...um what is it...oh yeah, a choke.

DUH!

Pulled it out about 1/3 of the way and she fired up and kept running, much to my surprise. she ran for about 15-20 minutes on Sunday and got up to operating temp, the t-stat opened, no oil or coolant leaks and consistantly showed about 55-60 pounds oil pressure at idle. It's all even more surprising that she ran considering that the carbs and the balance of the ignition system haven't been touched in about 15 years...they built these things tough!
I even drove her back and forth in the garage...about 3 feet forward and back. At least I know the clutch isn't frozen up

Me very happy


1 comment:

  1. Saw your engine start on youtube, very entertaining, reminds me of my brother in law's '63 MG. he rebuilt the engine, then never got it started, where it sat for 15 years till I came along. After rebuilding the engine (it seized after sitting for 15 years), I couldn't get it started till I found the problem, which was the same reason my borther in law couldn't get it started. Points were out of whack. Heh, fun times. Anyways, Good job. I plan to get me a mid 60's MGB sometime. Though

    ReplyDelete