Monday, June 15, 2009

Doing little things here and there

6-12-2009

Well I got the seats reupholstered. I bought the vinyl seat covers in used but nearly-new condition but didn’t realize that they were for later models MG’s. My original 74 seats had a smooth stitched surface whereas these have the mesh/waffle pattern. Not too much of a problem but the headrest covers are different and I can’t use them. No biggie since my headrests are in okay condition.
















I stripped the frames, primered and painted them and then lubed up all the mechanisms. The seat recliner mechanism on the driver’s side was completely frozen with rust so I got that cleaned up and lubed and it now works as it is supposed to.

I began work on the special factory tuning air damn I ordered from Moss Motors. It is so flimsy and thin that I’m pretty sure a bug strike at 60 mph would tear it off the car. To cure this I laid another layer of fiberglass and resin on the back side of the air damn and two layers on the lip that mounts to the car.
I also took my hole saw and put two openings on either side of the air damn for the LED daytime running lights. I fiberglassed in two metal brackets to support the lights. It should wind up looking pretty good though I still have a lot of sanding to do to clean up my work and the flaws in the air damn.












The resin is pretty tough stuff but a palm sander should take the edges down fairly easily (I hope) and then it’s hand sanding, roughing up the gel coat and priming. After I get the lights and their wiring done it should be ready to put on the car.
I’ll leave the final install, however, until the front fenders are back on so I can be sure it all lines up properly.

I’m still working on the wiring diagram for the new fuse panel that I’ll be installing under the starboard side dash in the cockpit. I’m figuring with all of the additional lighting, sound and other electrical components I’ll be adding to the car I’m going to have to get a GM alternator conversion since the wimpy little Lucas alternator just won’t put out enough juice to keep the battery charged.

6-14-2009
Been working on the air damn some more. Sanded down all the rough edges and the resin drips on the front. It likes it will all work well.
I set the LED fog lights that will be the daytime running lights. They fit in just fine but I still have to fill, smooth and prime the openings.
I cleaned up the steering wheel and hub, wire brushing and sanding them smooth and down to bare metal. I primed them and painted them gloss black. The leather still needs replaced but the metal looks good.

No comments:

Post a Comment