Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Airdamns and fuses and carpet...OH MY!

6-30-2009
I’ve done most of my work inside lately and primarily on the electrical system. I’ve completed wiring up the new 8-fuse panel to replace the factory fuse panel with 4 glass fuses. It sends the wires going into and coming out of the factory fuse panel between the 4 original glass tube fuses and splits them between 6 modern blade-type fuses. The remaining two fuses will be used for the fog and driving lights which will also be connected to relays. I’ve run a new 10-gauge power line up from the starter to power the two additional fuses.




I’ve ordered the new relay kit for the headlights and horn from one of the members on the MG Experience forum and I got a new 6-fuse panel that will mount under the dash on the starboard firewall for the new accessories such as the heated seats, stereo, amplifier, video system and new interior LED lighting. I’ve also run an additional 10-gauge wire from the starter to power the accessories inside the cockpit.

I’ve found out that redoing an MGB electrical system involves buying a shitload of new wire and connectors…and I do mean a shitload.

Instead of buying the premade carpet set for the car I purchased two 4’ x 8’ rolls of low-cut-pile carpet on sale at the Home Depot for about $36.00. IT is the right color, cheap as hell and all I need is a pair of scissors and some contact adhesive to install it. I made my first carpet set for the MG back in 1989 out of a roll of carpet and I can do it again…and save about $200.00+ in the process!

I pulled the gear shift lever off, ground off about 1.5” and cut new threads for the shift knob.. It was a bitch and the die I used to cut the new threads was a crappy Harbor Freight die so it did a shitty job. Not to mention that the grinding down I did on the shaft looks really sloppy…but it worked and you won’t see any of it since it will be under the gear shift boot. Of course, after I spent two hours shortening the shift lever I found that the guy on the MG Experience forum that I’m buying my front shocks from also makes shortened shift levers that look like they come straight from the factory…oh well, oh hell.




I finished cleaning up and priming the Factory Tuning air dam and I test fit it on the car. It fits like a glove…OJ Simpson’s glove. The car was hit hard on the front starboard nacelle (which the previous owner never bothered to mention to me) and the whole front end is a bit screwy now. The air dam looks to be hanging low on the starboard side but I won’t really be sure until I have the car back on all fours and the front fenders reattached. I think I’ll have to do a fair amount of fudging to make everything line up properly.

Not going to do much this week since I’m going up to my boyhood home of Youngstown Ohio with my son for the 4th of July holiday to see old fiends and maybe take in a Pittsburgh Pirates game.

When I get back the serious work starts. I’m going to get al the electrical, suspension and other mechanical work done plus the rebuilt carbs go back on and I’m going to get here running properly. Then, of course, back to the body and a ton of cutting and welding…now that’s what I call fun.

I found four, 14” Mini-lite replica wheels for $200 for the set plus a friend of mine runs a tire shop and offered me tires for his actual cost…the problem is that they are Firestone tires and there is not one hunk of crap Firestone tire I’d ever put on a car…even if they were free. Life can be such a crapfest…why couldn’t he run a Pirelli or Kumho dealership.

1 comment:

  1. I have a 1974 MGB - 58k mile - last run in 1992 - been garaged since then. No previous problems - ran like a top, no leaks what so ever, body in ok condition - some rust. I'd like to get it running again - but am not motivated to dump $$$$$ into it. I am sure there can be a zillion things that will prevent it from running. I figured I needed to replace the fuel tank, drain and replace all fluids and get a new battery at least. What do you think my chances are to get it to run by doing only those things - or is this going to be a crap shoot? Appreciate any suggestions you have.........Greg S

    ReplyDelete