Monday, December 15, 2008

So sorry good people for not posting much in the last few weeks. I have been recovering from second heart attack in as many weeks courtesy of the Pittsburgh Steelers. :)

Getting closer to the engine restart Got a few small parts yet to order and I'll have the lump back together. I'm using the NASA all-up testing philosophy. Put everything back together, assume it all still works and fire light the bitch off.

The alternator is not putting out anything but as long as it is in place the battery will hold a charge long enough to work. I replaced a few rubber bits in the carbs but I have no idea of their condition. Both of the return springs on the carb bodies are broken so I'll need those and it is missing the fast idle adjust screw and locknut but they were fine when it was parked...after 10 years sitting? who knows. Folks on the MG forum and Butch seem to think there is a good chance they'll work since I took the time to clean all of the old gas out of them when I first parked it in 1998 (doesn't seem that long ago...I must be getting older)

Oil cooler and lines are back in but I've always had that one line that is way too long so at some point I'll be replacing that. I still have about 3 gallons of oil in the engine to drain out and replace...that'll be fun. I still have to take the heater core and tank to get flushed/repaired but the guys on the forum recommended a place in Kernersville that they does a real good job...and it's close by too.

I still have the mess that is the wiring to clean up. I'm replacing a bunch of the bullet connectors and female receptacles and plan to add a relay system and second aux fuse panel for the stuff that takes lots of juice to run...don't now why but I just don't trust 35 year old British wiring to hold up.

I plan to try starting it weekend after next so if anyone wants to swing by for the fire...um, I mean start up, I'll keep you posted. Kevin, who lives over in Bermuda Run and is very MG knowledgeable, has offered to help and he has many of the tools I'll need. He's a really nice guy and has been a ton of help so far.












1 comment: