Monday, November 24, 2008

11-22-08...In praise of CLR...Part-II

Well, the radiator and heater core have been soaking over the weekend now and the
results are pretty dramatic. The first picture is of the radiator as it was before this restoration began. It wan't too bad looking, just dirty and tired.
















The next is a picture of the radiator and core soaking in the hot bath of CLR and water. I soaked it for about 3 days and the amount of crud that came out was amazing!
















I took a hunk of super-fine steel wool to the the radiator top for only about 20 seconds and it shined up like it was brand new! I still have to fiinish cleaing off the old paint from the radiator support, painting it and then cleaning up the rest of the brass but that is all just a detail.

















I soldered the crack in the heater core and then soldered the upper part of the radiator support bracket back onto the passenger side radiator top.
















How I did it:

I took the core and used a wire wheel brush to take the area all around the crack to bare clean metal. The wire wheel expanded the damage from nearly invisible to a 1-inch long opening around 1/2 to 1 mm wide. I smeared solder flux all around the area and heated it with a propane torch until it was very hot. I then dipped the solder into the flux and onto the crack and the solder was sucked right in like it is when you are soldering copper pipes together.

I built up the solder on top of that and then all around it to the sides and it seem pretty solid. I hooked a garden hose to one end of the core and blocked the other opening and turned on the hose...no leaks.

Since the pressure from a home's plumbing system is much higher than that which the core will experience in the car I think I am safe to assume that this will hold over time.

I'm very lucky the pressure didn't blow the core apart but the solder held so I think it'll be okay to install back in the heater box.

No comments:

Post a Comment