Saturday, May 9, 2009

Low cost sound and thermal insulation

Here is how I did the low-cost thermal and sound insulation for the cockpit and a comparison between it and a sound deadening material such as Dynamat Extreme.

Instead of Dynamat-type sound deadener plus an additional layer of thermal insulation, I did the following in the following order after stripping the floorboards, tranny tunnel, firewall and vertical metal of the rear deck of the cockpit. (This was not done to the following areas. The rear vertical walls behind the door, the rear deck, rear bulkhead and inner door threshold sills.) I also applied a layer of fiberglass mat and resin to the floorboards to repair some small holes.

A.---I sprayed on two layers of truck bed liner and let them dry.
B.---I painted all areas coated with the truck bed liner (i.e. the entire cockpit)
C.---Sprayed two coats of urethane sealer
D.---Sprayed on two layers of quality rubberized undercoating and let dry
E.---Applied the foil-backed butyl rubber (similar to Dynamat) on the floorboards where the factory sound deadening material was. Also on the entire transmission tunnel, vertical lower bulkhead behind the seats and forward vertical and horizontal panels of the firewall.
F.---Sprayed on 3M adhesive and then placed the mylarized sunshades as insulation.

The truck bed liner is really tough and, when painted/sealed with a rust-preventative paint, should offer good corrosion resistance. It also adds a thin layer of dense, sound-absorbing material to the metal.

A good quality, spray-on rubberized rust proofing adds not only protection from rust but also adds vibration absorbing characteristics. Two or three layers should make a difference in the area of vibration dampening but one or two more layers wouldn’t hurt. Any more probably wouldn’t help (though I could be wrong)

Instead of installing Dyanmat (or the like) sound deadener which would have cost several hundred dollars I bought some roll-on roofing material at the Home Depot. It is a butyl rubber material with a thick foil backing but costs a lot less. I cut it and placed it in the same pattern as the original factory sound deadening material on the floorboards. I also put it on the firewall, entire transmission tunnel and the vertical bulkhead behind the seats. This material comes in rolls 6” x 25’ and two of them will finish out the areas I described above if you are careful with it and apply it in the same pattern as I did, five rolls would finish out just about every square inch of the cockpit if you did the floors completely and not just in the factory pattern..

I chose the sunshades for the thermal insulation because I saw them first. Mylar bubble insulation which is the exact same thing (except it comes in a big roll and at a lower cost per square foot) is available at big hardware stores.

The only thing I would do differently is to glue down the Mylar bubble insulation with contact adhesive instead of the spray-on type. I just feel it would hold up better and be a stronger bond.
I’ll probably wind up adding the butyl sound deadening material to the inner sills but since I still have welding work coming up in that area I’ll do that after I have the new outers sills installed and the rest of the body work finished. It will add about $17.00 to the costs.

Total cost, as seen below, was $107.00. Quite a bit less than what conventional Dynamat-type material plus any thermal insulation would have cost.

Spray on truck bed liner, 2 spray cans------- $7
Rubberized undercoating, 2 spray cans--------$16
Urethane sealer, 1 spray can---------$6“Auto-Shade” dashboard sun shades, ---------$27
3M adhesive, 1 spray can-----------$8
Metal HVAC tape, 1 roll-----------$7
2 rolls roofing butyl with foil backing------36
Total cost---------------$107.00

For comparison:
Dynamat cost: $9.50 per square foot
Hardware store butyl with foil cost: $3.00 per square foot
Total cost for Dynamat plus thermal insulation and all other costs installed: $396.00

My total cost for the way I did it: $124.55 (includes extra roll of butyl material for inner sills, outboard footwells and inner doors)

Quite a difference. And yes, the Dynamat is thicker than the butyl sound deadener I installed. But even if I doubled the amount used and also did the sills, the total would be $178.10...still way less than half of the Dynamat (or comparable) material.

The foil on the two materials is the same thickness and both provide sound deadening and thermal blocking. And I have no doubt that the hardware store butyl material will stand up to the heat coming off the exhaust. If you’ve ever done any roofing work (and I have done a lot) you know that roof surfaces can reach temperatures of over 150 degrees on a sunny day.

The materials I used have comparable performance to the Dynamat-type materials and cost much less than half. In addition, I found that installing the 6” wide rolls of the butyl material was much easier than trying to cut up or maneuver the larger sheets of Dynamat.

I tried the Mylar bubble insulation on the floorboards of my Corvette and a single layer practically eliminated the previously substantial heat coming up from the floorboards.

Final assessment: This one is a no-brainer. While many things people do to save a few bucks often wind up costing more money, this one seems to actually be worth the difference. I expect that the sound and heat levels in the car will be dramatically reduced, especially if a hardtop is in place.

The Mylar thermal insulation works well at stopping heat transfer and the foil-backed butyl it basically the same, in practical applications, as Dynamat-type sound deadening materials.
For what it’s worth, I like it (but I’m a cheapskate)

NOTE:
At the last minute, after I was done with the passenger floorboards, I decided to glue down the rest of the thermal bubble wrap insulation with brush-on contact adhesive instead of the spray on. I had it left over from some other project so it didn’t add to the cost and it gives a much stronger bond than the spray-on stuff. It also costs less than the spray adhesive and a $6.00 can is way more than you need to do the entire interior.

INSTALLATION NOTES:
If you use spray-on rubberized undercoating make sure it is fully dried and painted. If not painted, dragging a brush of contact adhesive across it can loosen it or even liquefy it.

Before applying adhesive to the Mylar bubble wrap insulation or the foil of the butyl sound deadener, be sure to wipe it down. There are often manufacturing residues and oils on them (especial the butyl foil) that will weaken the bond of the contact adhesive.
Some shots of the cockpit

5 comments:

  1. You have given very nice options for using these products such that we can achieve this Low cost sound and thermal insulation from many factors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading about the restoration you're doing. I'm working on a 77 BMW right now. I just installed the sound deadener and, baby, it purrs. I'm so excited it's almost done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Low cast sound thermal insulation is really very interesting information for me. I would like to say that sound thermal insulation is really very best for cars and homes. Rubber sound deadening online buy in uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. gsound dampening spray

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post.https://procracksoft.com/solidworks-pro-crack-2017/

    ReplyDelete