Saturday, October 25, 2008

10-25-2008

I Spent last night making gaskets for the engine. The only ones I'm not making are the valve cover gasket (which I already have) and the exhaust manifold gasket (shich is made from metal) The rest I'm making myself...$20.00 for a sheet of treated fiber material and 1/8" thick sheet of cork is a lot less than just a few of the gaskets and I'll also have plenty left over for future repairs.

















After making the gaskets, I reinstalled the cleaned and painted water pump. It seems in good shape and if it winds up failing it only costs about $50.00 for a new one and is easy enough to swap out.


















I pulled the side tappet covers off of the engine and cleaned them up. I put the rubber gasket I had on the rear cover and a new, home made cork gasket on the front cover. I used Indian Head gasket adhesive on both and reinstalled the covers back on the block. They get tightened down but not much. If they are overtightened the gaskets squish out and the plates warp which is what usually causes them to leak.
Once they were back on I went ahead and sprayed them with the high-temp engine paint so they're all nice and purdy.

I'll finish up cleaning and painting the rest of the engine bay as well as pulling the valve cover and cleaning and painting that too. I still have parts to sandblast for the bay...so much to do, so little disposable income.








The exhaust manifold is ready to go back on. I wire brushed it until it was down to bare metal, cleaned it thoroughly with acetone and then sprayed three coats of the 1500-degree (supposedly) high temp silver paint. I do know, however, that no matter what, the heat of the manifold will cause the paint to "go away" sooner than the marketing claims say it will. Such is life with a red-hot mainfold. It looks nice now though!




No comments:

Post a Comment