Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sometimes bad things lead to good things.

10-01-08

So I decided that I wanted to put down the spray-on truck bed liner in the trunk though I have already primered and painted that area. I figure if I spray a real light dusting of the liner several times and slowly build up layers of liner, it won’t lift the painted surface below. Well, of course, it didn’t work out that way. While only about 10% of the paint bubbled and lifted up, it is in an exposed area that I want to look good and since it is lifting up, it means that the metal underneath is not protected. So I get out the scraper and start taking of the lifted parts since figure I can respray those areas like I did when I had the same problem with lifting on the driver’s side floorboards.
As I start scraping off the liner (which pulls the paint off with it) I find that the metal under it is rusting, even though it was primered and had two layers of paint over it! Then I remembered that I didn’t use zinc etching primer, I used regular sandable primer instead. The etching primer does a lot to help prevent rust from forming over bare metal. In addition, I sprayed on very, very humid days and that does make a difference.

The more liner/paint I removed, the more rust I found. So I guess it was a good thing that the liner bubbled the paint or I wouldn’t have seen it until the metal was rusted enough to really piss me off.

Luckily, the liner/paint peeled off very quickly and what didn’t came off very fast when I used the twisted wire brush wheel on my drill. I stripped out the old liner/paint, made sure to get up all of the surface rust, sanded it all down and started over. After I cleaned up the area with acetone, I sprayed a layer of the bed liner over the metal and let it set up. I’ll probably put down two more layers tonight and then let it set for a week or so. When I’m sure it has fully cured, I’ll put down a layer of primer and a layer or two of paint and that should be the last I have to worry about the metal rusting. And with no hurricane remnants rolling through the area, the humidity is way down compared to the first time I did the trunk, so the liner should do a good job protecting the steel.


Of course, I’ll have to do the same thing on the underside of the trunk floor since that area holds a lot of water on the top of the gas tank…

After I took the trunk down to bare metal this time and I got the first layer of liner down, I conducted a little experiment. I scraped off some of the paint in the cockpit in an area where it was prepped and painted in the same way that the trunk was. The only difference is that I used the etching primer instead of the sandable primer. I did them both around the same time and the condition of the meal in the two areas was about the same before I started working on them. However, the area where I used the etching primer showed absolutely no rust when I scraped off the paint while the trunk area showed considerable rusting.

ALL RIGHT, TIME FOR A RANT!
I have a Sears sandblaster and I was going to use it to start cleaning up all the parts that need blasted. Well, the sandblasting gun has a replaceable tip in it made of ceramic. It is a sacrificial part designed to wear away as the sand passes out of the tip so that the metal of the gun’s tip doesn’t get eaten away. So I go to Sears to buy it…only about $6 bucks for two tips, no big deal. Well, they don’t have it in stock. Fine. I go to another Sears, again, its not in stock. So I call the Sears part supply store and they don’t have it either. So I’m going to have to order it online and pay $6.95 shipping on a $5.oo part! And every person I talked to said the same thing; “Well just buy a new gun, its only about $25.00...) Yeah, I get the scam. Don’t sell the tips and maybe the customer will just buy the more expensive item because they’re in a hurry. No wonder Sears only has like nine customers left…

No comments:

Post a Comment