Wednesday, October 8, 2008

10/6/08

I finished spraying the truck bed liner in the trunk. I put down 3 coats and it looks pretty good. Its dried as hard as a rock so I don’t think I’ll have to worry about rust for a very long time.
When it set, I put down a layer of sandable primer, sanded it with 220-grit paper and then sprayed the first coat of white paint. The liner has a rough texture as compared to a regular painted surface but it still looks good. Besides, I’ll be putting carpet in the trunk anyway so the surface texture really doesn’t matter much.

I put down a second coat of paint tonight and it looks nice and even. I’ll let the paint harden for a few weeks and then spray on a final coat of white.


Next comes stripping the paint from the tranny tunnel and the rest of the cockpit, primering and painting them and fiberglassing and finishing the passenger side floorboards and spraying the truck bed liner.

The more I think about it, the less inclined I am to remove the dashboard. Not because I really don’t want to (I don’t) but because, unless there is some major work to be done on the wiring harness behind the dash (which I don’t think there is) I really think that my limited restoration funds should be going to more important mechanical necessities. A replacement dash cover will cost over $300.00 while the dash-top cover only will cost me about $50.00. That $250.00 difference will buy me a lot of little parts that will do more than just make the car look good.

After the cockpit is completely finished, I’ll do the final cleaning on the engine and engine bay. I’ll then paint the engine, manifolds and the rest of the bay and get started on cleaning up the wiring until I get the new wiring relay systems for the high-powered electrical components (headlights, heater fan, sound system, etc.) Then its back to replacing the sills, rear valance panel, doglegs, front fender quarter panels and driver‘s side door skin…still need to get that mig welder

No comments:

Post a Comment