Saturday, May 23, 2009

5-21-2009 Fighting a multi-front war

Well the brakes are all back together but not without a bit of struggle on one side.
I went to adjust the port side brakes and found that the adjuster was nearly impossible to turn. I wound up pulling the brakes off and removing the adjuster. I sprayed it with PB Blaster and that made no difference.

I finally but a big vice grip on it and heated with a propane torch. I then put a wrench on it and just worked it back and forth until it started loosening up. I finally got it to go all the way in and back out until it turned smoothly.

Still not idea as to why it was so tight as it looked straight and clean but it moves freely now.

I put a small dab of high-temp grease on it and ran it back in and out and then installed it back on the car. I put the brakes all back together and got them adjusted with no problems.

I tackled the parking brake cable while I was down there. Pain in the ass to do but not the worst job ever. Took the compensating lever apart (the one bolted to the differential pumpkin) got it cleaned, painted and greased. It is important to do that on a regular basis since most problems with the parking brake are a jammed or corroded adjuster.


















I replaced the flexible rubber brake hose on the rear axle with the braided stainless one. A bit of a bitch at one point but it’s all nice and tight. The brake lines are now hooked up to the new cylinders and the parking brake cables are connected to the levers (but I do need to get some new cotter pins for them)

















As I wrote in the title I am pursuing a multi-front war on the restoration. I’m trying to do as many things at the same time as possible.

I’ve started to tear the seats apart for then new foams and covers. Cleaning, painting and cleaning up the mechanicals while I also start tearing the rusted body panels off the car and cleaning up the wiring.

I had a nice little surprise when I pulled apart starboard seat. I found that the seat back was completely packed with old fiberglass and assorted junk, courtesy of a nice little mouse community. I pulled most if it out when I realized I should probably get a picture of it.

I got out the spot weld remover drill bit and started cutting into the car. This is going to take some time. I drilled out the welds on the top of the outer sill where it meets the top of the starboard forward kick panel. The welds were not even close to straight so I fear I may have gotten a “Monday-Friday” car!
The rear valance is going to be an absolute bitch. There are so many welds in so many places for such a relatively small panel that I may just cut the thing of with the cutting wheel, grind it up and weld the new valance over it. The way the old panel is installed will let me fudge it in that way and still wind up with a perfectly good new panel install.

Note on the new dashboard coverlay:
I put the new coverlay in place and it really looks good. The fit is great compared to the ones available 15 years ago and the texture, unlike the plastic-looking crap surface on the old one, actually looks like it is made of soft vinyl. I’m pretty happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment