Monday, May 18, 2009

Brakes getting close

I pulled the port side rear brake assembly of as a unit after pulling the hub and disconnecting the brake line and parking brake cable.

I then rebuilt the starboard side assembly right next to the one I just pulled off.


It is so much easier to rebuild these things off the car. Especially if you are replacing the brake cylinder since you have to use that little frakking that just loves to shoot off into the great unknown as you try to put it back on.




After that, I pulled apart the assembly I just removes, cleaned it all up and painted it. I used brake cleaning spray since these things are loaded with asbestoes and getting it all we with the cleaner keeps it from getting blown into the air and inhaled into your lungs.
I'm hoping my parts order arrives today so I can replace the axle oil seals and reassemble the axle and rear brakes. It shouldn't take more than an hour or two to put everything back together.

Unlike the front brake calipers, the Ezibleed bleeders I bought screwed right into the rear brake cylinders without the heavy resistance I encountered with the calipers. As soon as I bleed the system I'll post here how well they work.
I relplaced the axle rebound straps. It went fairly smoothly though the bolt on the axle for the port side strap was a bit of a bitch to get off.




Next comes replacing the flexible rubber brake line on the rear axle with the teflon stainless braided hose and then replacing the parking brake cable assembly. I'll bleed the brake and clutch hydraulics and then get back to cleaning and repairing the electrical systems.

The carbs are off and go in for their rebuild today and the oil cooler goes to the radiator shop for cleaning, pressure testing and any leak repairs if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment